Thursday, February 26, 2009

Do you use illustrations from TV shows / Movies?

I am curious to know what kind of preaching illustrations you guys / gals use the most. By this I mean, what "genre" or "category" do you find the most helpful and elicits the most "ahhhh! I get it" type of responses?

I do suppose it depends on the particular composition of your congregation or audience, but perhaps some general discussion and recommendations so we can learn from each other?

To narrow down the discussion (assuming there might be one. LOL! It's very slow moving here!), I was wondering about whether any of you use illustrations from TV shows / movies and what kind of feedback you have gotten.

I recall for example that back in Malaysia I found that illustrations from popular movies or popular TV shows generally tended to get a positive response from the youth / younger adults but it was not necessarily the most effective. The reason seemed to be that with the huge number and variety of movies and TV shows, even among say the youth or young adults, not all would watch the same shows / movies. But when I used such illustrations I often got blank looks from half the congregation! :-(

And in addition, I just did not have the time (or money) to go watch the vast variety of movies / TV shows. I remember trying to watch at least one episode of every TV show that came out but soon gave up due to the lack of time and the fact that most of the shows "sucked" :-)

I used to "cheat" by going to a website that gave a blow by blow synopsis of every movie, analyzed its content, highlighted possibler discussion areas of key themes etc. That was great until the site required payment for access :-( BTW, while I "cheat" I do tell the congregation / audience that I have not personally seen the movie and that I got the synopsis off the internet.

Anyone care to chip in on this topic? I do have some more thoughts on this topic but best not to hog the conversation :-)

Have a blessed weekend!!

No comments: